Tip jar:

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Cadillac Ranch at Night

Pictures from day 5 of my trip when stopping in Amarillo, Texas:
I had no clue that the famous Cadillac Ranch is located hidden in the darkness on some field. I thought it would be well illuminated and easy to find. Turns out it's a very offbeat attraction. I happened to know about this since childhood from the movie Skateboard Madness :-) So I was kind of eager to see it in real, got some directions from a nearby gas station, and without really looking for a thrill, I found myself in complete darkness. I saw some silhouettes against a remote highway, and only after walking over the field for a while it became clearer. So there was only me, the darkness, a dog barking somewhere, and ten cars sticking out of the ground. Can you imagine what a weird situation this was? Now the pictures look very colorful. In real it was just shades of gray. Thanks to two-minutes exposures with ISO 3200 all the colors came out.



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!

Luis said...

The choice of evening for this seems so adequate...can even make out Orion's Belt in the sky. Great set.

Oliver said...

That was about 3 in the morning.

Carlos said...

I think that Orion's Belt isn't visible on this picture :)

Oliver said...

So what are we looking at Carlos?

Fang Xu said...

these pics are totally awesome... wish I was there :)

Carlos said...

I'm very sorry. It is Orion, and the famous M42 nebula on the tip of his sword. In the middle of the image you can find a red star, this is Beitegeuze, the left shoulder point of orion. Going from there,in direction of the lower left corner, there are three stars in a short line - the Orion Belt. It is interesting, that this constellation is looking so small here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(constellation)

Oliver said...

Wow! Can you also show us an umbrella? :)

Unknown said...

I don´t know whether an umbrella constellatsion exists, but orion has a nice bow (in some interpretations). Here http://www.slowbut-sure.me.uk/astro/astro-1.htm you can find a shematic of orion and his bow. In addition there is a very useful and easy to use freewaretool for several operating systems - stellarium.org - which helps to explore the sky :)

Kathrynsky said...

oh wow, das ist toll!
hab einen post zu dir geschrieben :)

Oliver said...

Wie nett :)

Post a Comment