Tip jar:

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Loretta Lux & Andrzej Dragan

Have you heard about Loretta Lux? She does extraordinary digital photography with children. I noticed her about a year ago at the fotocommunity website. I was astonished by those weird looking images, but didn't keep her name in mind for some reason. When I visited the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco last winter, I surprisingly found myself in front of some of her pictures again. Since then I'm aware of that name and took the chance to see more of her pictures last Saturday at the Yossi Milo Gallery.
Speaking of fascinating digital portraiture, I don't wanna miss referring you to Andrej Dragan's website. These pictures simply freak me out every time I visit his page. He invented the technique called "retouch of light" he processes his pictures with. As a Photoshop newbie, I simply emailed him and asked for a hint about how this works. He offered me a tutorial for (I think it was) 300 Euros. I don't doubt that it's worth the money, but I know that those images are not only processed in a great way. The actual photographs are of high quality, too. Not speaking of the challenge of directing a person to look a certain way. My conclusion: There are so many things one can experiment with and it's all for free, let's first dedicate our little spare time to that.

Here are the links. Enjoy!
Loretta Lux
Andrzej Dragan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. i visit the page of Loretta and also of Andrzej and I am speechless. Andrzej uses a very interesting technique, his pictures are timeless.

Anonymous said...

Andrzej Dragan is a magic photographers, antoher great photographer is Benedetto Riba
I love this photographer

Anonymous said...

I just had a look. Ver nice! He seems to work a lot with textures. I started doing things like that with animal portraits.

Post a Comment